Thursday 24 February 2011

Mission statement.



The Alex Cox series Moviedrome is wholly responsible for my love of cult cinema. I started watching this season of cult double bills at a very young age and wouldn't have access to these films any other way. This was my education and Alex Cox was my guide, I used to love the introductions that Alex delivered in his laid back drawl. I believe the clip above comes from the first episode of Moviedrome way back in 1988 and contains Moviedromes mission statement. I love the fact he's got a Walker T-shirt on, I got the chance to meet Alex last year and I'm pretty sure he was dressed the same except he had a Repo Chick T-shirt on. Here is a list of the films shown in the first series of the Alex Cox run of Moviedrome, it reads like a list of my favorite films and the show is really missed, I wouldn't be the same person without its influence.

Moviedrome: BBC2- 1988-1990

Ace In The Hole
Alligator
Alphaville
An American Werewolf In London
Assualt On Precinct 13
Barberella
The Big Silence
Big Wednesday
Brazil
The Buddy Holly Story
A Bullet For The General
The California Dolls
Dead Of Night
Diva
D.O.A
Down By Law
Electra Glide In Blue
Fat City
Five Easy Pieces
The Fly
Get Carter
Goin' South
The Good The Bad And The Ugly
The Grisom Gang
The Hired Hand
The Honeymoon Killers
Incredible Shrinking Man
Invasion Of the Body Snatchers
Jabberwocky
Johnny Guitar
The Last Picture Show
The Long Hair Of Death
The Loved One
The Man Who Fell To Earth
The Man With The X-ray Eyes
Night Of The Comet
One-Eyed Jacks
One From The Heart
The Parallax View
The Phoenix City Story
Q-The Winged Serpent
Razorback
Rumblefish
Stardust Memories
Sunset Boulevard
Sweet Smell Of Success
The Terminator
The Thing From Another World
THX 1138
Trancers
Two-Lane Blacktop
Ulzanas Raid
Walk On The Wild Side
A Wedding
The Wicker Man
Yojimbo

Why of why isn't there a series like Moviedrome on TV now? I'll talk about the 91-93 series in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment