Sunday 27 February 2011

SPIELBERG VS SPIELBERG





I can remember seeing a drawing of Steven Spielberg in a comic when I was young, he was sitting on a directors chair and hand his arms around E.T and had Jaws and Indiana Jones stood behind him (Can sharks stand?). I couldn't believe that one man had made so many of my favorite films. I grew up with his films such as E.T, Empire Of The Sun and Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, I even have fond memories of 1941! I think I started to fall out of love with Spielberg after going to see Jurassic Park, I don't think it was to do with growing up because Duel, Raiders Of The Lost Ark and Jaws are very adult, maybe Spielberg had lost something on the way?
When We Were Young will look at directors and compare there early work with there current work.

Young Spielberg:

1:Jaws (1975)
2:Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981)
3:Close encounters Of The Third Kind (1977)

Old Spielberg: 

1:Indian Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (2008)
2:War Of The Worlds (2005)
3:A.I  Artificial Intelligence  (2001)

Will I be disappointed by The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn? Probably. I'm hoping that Peter Jackson is steering the film in the right direction. I think that Spielberg struggles to end a film in a satisfying way, A.I, Saving Private Ryan, Crystal Skull, War Of The Worlds all have horrible tacked on endings where the film should have finished at least 10 mins before they actually do. 

Winner: Young Steven Spielberg.



Exception to the rule: Munich (2005) 

No comments:

Post a Comment