Sunday 30 October 2011

The Horror...part 5: The Final Nail In The Coffin

We have reached the final part of my scary film countdown.
I will try and cram in the last few but the list keeps expanding!

Here Goes.


Halloween (1978)

Very little needs to be said about Halloween, Its a brilliant taught horror that makes me jump every time. And I seriously couldn't have a post without mentioning Donald Pleasence.
Maybe the best horror soundtrack ever made, Carpenter based it on a simple technique he was taught while learning the piano as a child.




Dead Of Night (1945)

Classic... What's not to love or be scared of. Eailings finest hour. I'm sure that everyones favorite story is the one with the Ventriloquists dummy staring Michael Redgrave.




The Omen (1976)

Another horror much loved from childhood. I love the great 70s feel to this film. It has a fantastic cast and the David Warner decapitation was probably the goriest thing I had seen when I was young. Great fun.




Special mentions:


Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
Terrifying ending. This picture says it all.


                                    



Cemetery Man (1994)


Great smart and funny film from Michele Soavi. Based on the Dylan Dog comics, I think this film is really underrated. The end is horrible. Thats why its on the list.






Martin (1976)

Nasty Masterpiece from Romero.





Uzumaki (2000)
Junji Ito's comics make me feel sick...This film made me feel very sick.




Drag Me To Hell (2009)
Best fun I have had at the cinema. A real Roller coatser/Ghost train of a film.

Conclusion:

I think most of the films which made my lists have been films which I have grown up with.
Was I more easily scared? I was tried to write my list quickly so it was a more instinctual memory of fear.
I'm very surprised that there are no Dario Argento films on my list though I really love his films, I guess I don't find him that scary? Suspiria is amazing and is lurid and iconic but I couldn't honestly put it on the list.
No Zombie films either. I think that Fulcis Zombie Flesh Eaters is the scariest Zombie film (sorry Romero) and I think its a great film but Zombie films never really scare me either.
No Evil Dead, another surprise. I think parts 2 and 3 have made me forget about how horrid the first part is.
No Peter Jackson. Bad Taste is one of my all time favorites but its not really a fright fest.
Sadly no place for Polanski or Del Toro.
Other films that maybe could have been mentioned are Jaws,Texas Chainsaw Massacre,Society,The Orphanage,Black Sabbath,Masque Of The Red Death,Santa Sangre and Rosemary's Baby.

I guess It's not a list of great horror as Eyes Without A face would be near the top, its a list of great horror which shocks.

Sleep tight.
Don't have nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment